Featured StoryWedding Day Spring Showers
Nature’s Kiss of Good Luck
Photography by Rachel Cooper
Rain Rain Go Away Come Again Another Day . . .
After a little research, it came to light that rain represents many things in different cultures – including unity, renewal, cleansing, and fertility. It truly signifies the start of a fresh new chapter in your life.
Rain on your wedding day is good luck and symbolizes a lasting marriage. You are symbolically “tying the knot” on your special day. Have you ever tried to untie your shoelaces when they get wet? Then you understand why rain should make your marriage equally as hard to unravel; making rainy day weddings a positive thing.
Following is information on a few details that you may choose to adapt and include in your special day.
A GIFT FOR HIM TO LAST A LIFETIME
A beautiful timepiece is a thoughtful, loving gift for your guy. Watches traditionally are given to mark milestones in a man’s life. Whether it’s a wristwatch or a pocket watch, it’s a gift that says I cherish our time together and that you will be on my mind every minute of our wedding day. Smyth Jewelers recommends engraving the case back with a special message or the wedding date. If it is a watch that needs to be wound, start it ticking on your wedding morning to mark the start of your new life together.
Present him with a fabulous new watch, a family heirloom, or an estate piece. Smyth Jewelers says “the biggest trend is estate and vintage watches. Vintage Rolexes are highly sought after and make for a special gift that can be worn forever.” All of their vintage watches come with a warranty. Good watches will increase in value over time when properly cared for. Remember the Patek Phillippe commercial that stated . . . “You never actually own a Patek Phillippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.”
Pick out a watch that matches the personality of your groom. The new Tag Heuer Connected watch is carried exclusively in Maryland by Smyth Jewelers and is perfect for the techy guy. It has the features of a smartwatch, is iOs and Android compatible, with the beauty of a fine timepiece. They also make a golf edition that includes GPS maps of hundreds of golf courses around the world.
Rolex Shinola Vincero Watch (Vincerocollective.com)
The bride spends days, if not weeks shopping with her entourage of moms, sisters, and best friends to find the exact dress that brings tears to her eyes the first time she tries it on. The shopping experience for the groom is not quite as dramatic.
Purchase or Rent?
To purchase has its advantages. We spoke with Christopher Schafer Clothier to learn the pros of purchasing.
- A custom-made tuxedo or suit allows you an array of options to make the look all yours. Choices for fabrics, buttons, stitching colors, the lining, lapel style, pocket style, trouser style, and more
- To provide a truly perfectly tailored fit requires over 30 measurements
- Just like rentals should be secured 6 to 8 weeks in advance, the creation of a custom suit takes the same amount of time
- The wedding party should all match, but the Groom should stand out just like the Bride
To rent has its advantages too. Tuxedo House offered the following insight on this decision.
- If you want your complete wedding party, including groomsmen, fathers, grandfathers, and ring bearer to match, then renting is probably your only alternative. Not all tuxedoes are available to buy in every size
- Styles change quickly. Renting allows you to stay stylish and always look up-to-date
- Renting a tuxedo is approximately 75% less than purchasing a tuxedo.
- Most men don’t stay the same size from year to year. If you purchase your tuxedo it may not be able to be altered (made bigger or smaller), and look good in the future.
SHORT & SASSY DRESSES
Short weddings dresses have been around for a long, long time. Audrey Hepburn and Yoko Ono were both married in 1969 in short wedding dresses. Before you decide on anything there are some things to consider.
- Set a date and find your venue because your wedding dress needs to suit the type of location and the time of the year. A mini dress in a Catholic church during the freezing February temperatures might not work well together. However, it would be wonderful for a destination wedding on a beach.
- Short dresses are perfect for a civil ceremony or a small, intimate wedding. If you are considering a religious ceremony in a church, synagogue, or mosque, you probably don’t want anything too revealing. If you truly want a short wedding dress consider finding one with sleeves or consider wearing a full-length veil for a dramatic entrance.
- If you are thinking about dancing and partying after the ceremony, maybe consider two dresses; a more formal, long dress for the ceremony, then changing to a fancy, short dress for the reception and to dance the night away.
Some of the pros for a short dress are
- Usually less expensive than a long wedding dress
- Much easier to pack and transport for a destination wedding
- Purchase amazing shoes, get a great pedicure, and sport a tan for a great look
- Comfort and freedom is what you will feel throughout your wedding day and on the dance floor
Remember, more than anything your wedding dress needs to reflect who you are.
NYB&G BHLDN.com Dorriswedding.com
MANIS TO COMPLETE YOUR WEDDING LOOK
From the minute you say “YES” clear through to when you say “I DO” all eyes are on your hands. Everyone will want to see the new ring. Detailed engagement shots that show off the bling on your ring finger, signing the marriage certificate, cutting the cake, and more, you will be surprised how many times your hands will be seen in the photos.
Just like choosing your dress, veil, shoes, flowers and more, the options for the look of your nails are numerous.
Here are just a few that Wedding411 found distinctive.
- Metallic manicures in silver, gold, or rose gold. Match the color to the metal of your engagement ring and wedding band to prevent the whole look from clashing
- Pink and White Ombre Design is currently trending. This is candy pink polish that blends into white tips with smooth ombre shading. This is a slight twist on a traditional French manicure.
- Classic wedding white. Nothing says bridal like classic white. This can be a strong modern look
- Creamy/Milky White. This opaque look is a softer look. Gentle, delicate.
- French – There are so many variations on the French Manicure; Skinny Tips, Nude nail beds with metallic tips, Negative space or reverse French manicures, and more.
CrazyNailzz.com Europeannailpolish.com Lulus.com
Creative Director & Stylist | @sentimentalfools
Photographer | @rachellcooperr
Fashion, Location & Suiting | @christopherschafer
Lovebirds | Alexaust_ @marcusholman1